Is there a filing deadline for amended tax returns?

Yes, there is a filing deadline for amended tax returns. If you’ve already filed your tax return and noticed that you over-reported income, you can potentially receive a refund by filing an amendment. There are two scenarios in which you can possibly receive a refund.

The IRS will accept whichever occurs later:
• Amendment filed within three years after the date the original return was filed
• Amendment filed within two years from the date you paid the tax balance owed on your return

Once the amendment has been filed, the IRS takes approximately 4-12 weeks to process the amended return.

If you would like to know where to send in your amended tax return, please click here.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *